Pick one positive word for the new year that describes your vision, purpose, where you would like to be at that end of the new year, or what you would like more of in the year ahead. This is a change from resolving to change a behavior and falling short on our promise to ourselves. Your one-word can come to you at any time you focus your intention on the coming year.
Picking Your Positive Word Meditation
- If you need more of a process, in a quiet place, sit in a comfortably with your feet flat on the floor.
- Turn the ringer on your phone off.
- Lay your hands gently in your lap and close your eyes.
- Take three deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your month.
- Think about yourself and all that is good about the person that you are.
- Turn your mind to the new year and focus on what you desire more of.
- What do you desire to take with you into the new year?
- Allow the words to come together in your mind and body.
- Give them time to appear.
- It may be that they are just under the surface of your consciousness.
- Sit quietly for a few minutes more and then journal the word or words that appeared.
Journal your experience if you choose to. Sometimes it feels like the word chose us. For some, their first word is likely their one-word resolution. For others, it’s just the word that felt right.
- What word appeared first?
- What word did you feel in your heart?
- What word felt energizing?
- What word that describes 2020 do you desire to bring with you into 2021.
Turn up your awareness in the coming months to see how your one word shows up in your life.
- Gordon, J. (2013, May 18). One Word that will Change Your Life [Video]. Youtube. https://cutt.ly/UjrWxbK